Whether you have a family of five or you’re living on your own, wear and tear in your home is inevitable. As time goes on, especially in quarantine, it’s only natural that damage will occur but that doesn’t mean you can’t minimize and hide it with just a few simple changes. From scratched floors to chipped paint and stained couches, Vishion is here to give you tips and tricks to keep your home looking brand new all year long.
Kitchen and Bathroom
- To keep tile looking brand new it needs to be cleaned regularly, especially in heavily used areas or if you have pets. Tile collects bacteria and if not cleaned properly can be problematic in the future. Sweeping and mopping thoroughly is the best way to clean your tile.
- While maintaining tile can be fairly simple, grout can be a little more difficult because of how porous it is. Using a bleach solution and a small scrub brush will often do the trick to get out those pesky stains. If you are looking for a more natural approach, mixing vinegar and baking soda is just as effective.
- TIP: NEVER vacuum tile! Scratches made by vacuums could be permanent.
- While granite is a very durable and tough surface, if not protected and cleaned properly, the protective seal on it can be worn down very easily. Instead of using harsh chemicals to clean your countertops, use gentle cleaners to keep granite looking beautiful.
- Gentle dishwashing soap and warm water cleans granite efficiently and keep it looking like new without taking off its finish.
- It’s only natural to let these safe cleaning methods slip your mind. If that happens, here are some great sealants and protectants you can use to make sure your granite stays in good condition.
- Cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom tend to get a little messy from spilled food or old makeup. One easy way to prevent your cabinets from getting messy is to use cabinet liners which can be almost invisible! If the damage has already been done, there are also liners in different designs and colors so you can hide those spills and stains.
- While cooking in the kitchen, grease can tend to splatter on your cabinets leading to stains. A good way to prevent these stains is to run the vent while cooking. If you notice some spots during cooking, wipe the cabinets down with soapy water and a rag to prevent the grease from setting in.
- Wood floors can be a little tricky, but not impossible, to protect because of all of the foot traffic going through it as well as the furniture moving on it every day. To prevent and hide scratches and stains on your wood floors, you can put rugs around your home. By layering rugs around your home, especially in places consisting of high traffic like entryways, you are not only adding fun decorative elements into your home, you are also providing incredible protection for your floors.
- To prevent scratches on your wood floors, you can also add rubber grips for the bottom of your furniture. These rubber grips are not just for chairs, they are also for couches, dressers, nightstands, and more. These rubber grips come in all different shapes and sizes to make sure your floors stay scratch-free!
- Cleaning your floors is just as important as protecting them. A simple all-natural water/vinegar solution is an easy way to keep your floors clean.
- Hiding stains and gashes in your walls have never been easier. If a fresh coat of paint just isn’t cutting it, you can also use peel and stick wallpaper to add an exciting and new pop of color or design into your home. The great thing about this wallpaper is that it has the capability of being ever-changing and it is super simple to apply by yourself.
- If you aren’t looking for new color or design in your home, a very reliable tool is the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. This tool gets out the toughest of stains without taking off any protective layers of paint in your home.
- Aside from the entry-way, stairs in your home have arguably the most traffic. This can cause massive amounts of wear and tear on your stairs over a short period of time. A great solution to this is peel and stick carpeting. This is a great way to protect the wood while also adding a stylish addition to your home that can be removed or replaced at any time.
- Peel and stick stair risers can add a fun design element while protecting your home. Much like wallpaper, these pre-cut adhesives protect your stair’s kickboards.
Living Room and Family Room
- Carpet has been around for years, it is something that has never gone out of style and it doesn’t look like it will be any time soon. To keep carpet clean and prevent any unwanted stains, the easiest way is to make sure you don’t wear shoes inside.
- Selecting dark colored carpets is a great way to hide stains and keep your stress level low if you have company over. If you spill food or drink on your carpet, it is important that you clean it up as soon as possible with a mild cleanser which can neutralize the odor and remove the stains of whatever substance that has been spilled.
- Cleaning your carpets regularly is important in keeping them looking the best they can possibly look. Vacuuming the carpets at least once a week keeps your carpets looking fluffy and new all year long.
- The best prevention for damage on your rugs is to apply a protectant specifically designed for rugs. These protectants bond with the fibers to seal them from potential spills and elements tracked in from outdoors. Because there are different types of rugs such as handwoven, machine-made, wool, etc. you have to make sure you use the right protectant to ensure the best results.
- Providing an underlay underneath your carpet is also a great way to protect your rug. Underlays provide a cushioning which prevents the accumulation of of dust and debris that inevitably works its way under and up through a rug.
- Furniture, such as a sofa, can be easily cleaned if you know how to do it right. If you have a cloth sofa, vacuuming it weekly is suggested to prevent dust and debris from clinging to your couch. After months of accumulating dirt, your couch can tend to look dingy or dull. A great way to change this is by flipping your cushions and rotating them monthly as well.
- If you’ve already cleaned and flipped your cushions to death and you still aren’t satisfied with your couch, a great way to hide the wear and tear is to invest in a couch cover. When people think of couch covers they think of their grandmother’s plastic covering, however, that is not the case anymore. These days there are thousands of couch covers to choose from that can elevate the interior design in your home that can prevent and hide any spills or accidents that occur.
Explore Color With Vishion